Sunday, January 30, 2011

Automatic For The People - R.E.M.


Released in 1992 this was R.E.M.'s 8th studio album. It has some great songs on it - Everybody Hurts, Nightswimming, Man On The Moon and my favorite The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite.

The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite was influenced by the song The Lion Sleeps Tonight, both in the title of the song and through the song's opening refrain. The band used The Lion Sleeps Tonight as the B-side to this song. The lyrics are famously easy to mishear. A 2010 survey found that the chorus line "Call me when you try to wake her" was the most misheard lyric in Britain. The most common mishearing of the chorus line is "Calling Jamaica". I always thought it was "Call me a trouble maker"! 

I saw R.E.M. at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre 10 January 1995. I remember the concert well for all the wrong reasons - I was in such a bad mood that night that it took me ages to actually start appreciating that I was at an R.E.M. concert! I will never forget Michael Stipe singing Country Feedback - I couldn't get the song out my head for ages. I really hope I get to see them again one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment